Thursday, April 5, 2018

Book Review: Cloak of the Light by Chuck Black


Purchase HERE

Title: Cloak of the Light

Author: Chuck Black

Series: Wars of the Realm #1

Genre: Speculative Fiction

Audience: Young Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

Author of the popular Kingdom Series returns with this thrilling new novel for young adults.

Tragedy and heartache seem to be waiting for Drew Carter at every turn. Sydney Carlyle, a mysterious and elusive girl offers encouragement through her faith, but Drew is too logical and scientific to believe that her prayer of healing was anything but coincidental in the restoration of his eyesight.

As his sight returns, he discovers that the accident has heightened his neuron activity, giving him skills and sight beyond the normal man. When he begins to see fierce invaders that no one else can see, he questions his own sanity, and so do others. But is he insane or do the invaders truly exist? The only one who can help him, his genius friend Benjamin Berg, has disappeared.

In Drew's quest to find Ben, he discovers that the invaders themselves are at war, for his efforts to thwart the devastating actions caused by the dark invaders are aided by invaders with a different nature. Time grows short as the dark invaders close in on Drew. With skills that no other man possesses, and help from Benjamin and Sydney, Drew initiates a plan to expose the invaders to the world.

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

Truly an epic and riveting start to the WARS OF THE REALM series by Chuck Black! Wow. Cloak of Light was adventurous, exciting, and seriously thought-provoking. I can't believe I waited so long to read this book; it is for sure one that I recommend! It was powerful, and kept me turning pages.

This book is of the speculative-fiction genre. It has a modern day setting and follows a young man named Drew Carter who loves football, cars, and working out. But then there's the fantasy twist, which involves epic battles of good vs. evil. Despite the speculative nature, I really feel this book brings out some essential and real truths concerning spiritual warfare - especially when Drew wonders something along the lines of: "What if the whole of mankind walks around, caught up in their own lives, totally unaware that they have invisible enemies all around?"

Chuck Black's writing style is a tad different than what I normally read. But I found myself quite enjoying it. The book was fairly fast-paced and action-packed. I really, really liked Drew, the POV character. He was cool, and Chuck Black wrote him in a very authentic-feeling way. (Maybe I understand men better, haha.) Drew isn't a Christian, but he's been instilled with good morals from his parents, and he's seeking and fighting for righteousness.

I also enjoyed the characters of his mom and Jake. And Benjamin Berg. *grins* Even though he's kind of ... interesting. The "nerd" who is obsessed with the idea of alien life.
And let's talk about Sydney. Pretty much the one prominent female character. It was absolutely great to see her being a wise young lady and rejecting the idea of "missionary dating"! Seriously, this was so refreshing to see. I hardly ever find literary characters who take this stand, so that made Sydney stand out to me. She's a sweet but independent girl with a heart for God and strong faith.

The themes of the spiritual realm and warfare ... AWESOME. The good vs. evil - angles vs. demons battles. The part that prayer plays in said battles. Cloak of the Light is written in a way and with aspects that I believe attracts young adults, and it also had such depth. This is a message the Church needs to hear! It was thought-provoking, eye-opening, challenging, and encouraging! A great reminder.

This book was just so thrilling, mysterious and adventurous ... this is what I love about speculative fiction! I usually read fantasy, not books including stuff about angels and demons. But I had a subtle knowing that this book would satisfy my craving for a fantasy-type adventure, and did it ever! Yanked me right out of my reading slump. Drew and friends (+ enemies) kept me up all hours of night. *grins*

I can't quite find the words to describe what this book did for me. Guys, it kept me up at night. I read it in about one day (and now I'm reading the sequel). It made me ponder spiritual warfare and get fired up about said topic and how God can work in and through me to impact this unseen war.

I loved these characters. I loved how the mystery unfolded about these massive, sword-wielding "invaders" who dwell in another dimension. I loved the message. Now, besides reading all the books by Chuck Black, I want to meet him! I've gained a respect and admiration for him and his amazing writing and strong faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment