Saturday, March 28, 2015

Book Review: Cinderella's Dress by Shonna Slayton


Purchase HERE

Title: Cinderella's Dress

Author: Shonna Slayton

Series: Cinderella's Dress #1

Genre: Fairy Tale Retelling/Historical

Audience: Teen-Young Adult

~ MY REVIEW ~
**4.5 stars**

Cinderella’s Dress by Shonna Slayton was a sweet, fun, and unique story; it kept me turning pages! From the gorgeous cover, to the captivating era, to the charming characters, this novel had me intrigued.

Kate Allen is a teenage girl just trying to cope with her dad off in war and her ambitious mother trying to get her in a movie. She has a special, amber necklace given to her by her grandmother, but she never knew it had anything to do with the strange Polish couple who show up on her doorstep. And what? They have Cinderella’s dress … ?

A Cinderella retelling of sorts with fantastic twists and turns. How interesting to set this fairytale retelling in the midst of World War II, with Cinderella’s stepsisters’ descendants sneaking around with sinister intentions. Movie stars. Window decorating. Fashion shows. War. Breath-taking gowns. Soldiers writing letters to their sweethearts … I just loved this tale! *smiles*

It was so fun to join Kate on this unexpected fairytale adventure. She’s a bit timid, and sometimes awkward; and foolishly gets herself into trouble time and again. But she has heart and courage, and a soul ready to take on this journey set before her.

I rather liked her big brother Floyd. We didn’t get a lot of him, but he was a pretty charming older brother. Teasing. Sweet. But yet … an older brother all the same. *smiles* I hope to see more of him!

At first Johnny Day made me mad. (Perhaps I’m more like Kate than I thought … ) But he quickly grows on you throughout the story. And turns out to be a great young man! Aw … it’s just too cute! He really ends up being a gem of a guy. No, not perfect. But a perfect match. ^_^

Mother, Elsie, Josie, and the rest of the “nice” characters were also great in their own ways. Just lovely characters. Easy to connect with. To understand. To laugh at. Or get irritated at. *wrinkles nose*

As I sort of mentioned above, the romance was just adorable! It was more subtle and sweet, but swoon-worthy all the same! There were a few really cute, “grinning”, moments. One kiss I believe. But just overall a more realistic, slow, tender romance. Depth to it. *Sigh* I just love the part where the uncle says something (you’ll know what I’m talking about when you read it), and a little thrill just shoots through your heart…and Kate must be experiencing the same, and more, of course! *smiles* Can’t wait to see where this romance goes in the next book!

There were a few slightly creepy moments, what with stepsister descendants lurking around. Some moments were a bit frightening/intense. But nothing major at all. And the romance was all sweet. I would say 13 and up or so would be alright for this book.

There were some things that I would have liked to be expounded on more. Like the war’s end. And even the budding of the romance. Sometimes I was slightly confused because things happened quickly, without my really going through it, if you know what I mean. Like all of sudden, it was this way, and I was like, “Oh! That happened. Okay.” I don’t really know how to explain it. It’s not a huge deal at all, but I just thought I would mention it. Overall, Cinderella’s Dress makes for a short(er), easy to read, more fast paced novel.

It was a grand tale really! I enjoyed this new spin of Cinderella’s story. I love the era surrounding World War II. Adore Johnny and Kate. ^_^ And the dresses, eep! Cinderella’s Dress is a gorgeous, fascinating, heart-warming, and mysterious novel. I’m so excited to get a copy of Cinderella’s Shoes and continue this exceptional adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment