Tuesday, May 29, 2018

By the Book Tag

Hi, friends! Hope you all had a refreshing weekend. Today I'm doing the By the Book Tag. Thanks to Felicity @ A Grand Adventure, who tagged me! ^_^ I always love doing tags!

So here it is ... answer a few questions and tag friends!


What is on your nightstand right now?


I'm part of the launch team for King's War so I got a free paperback copy and it is gorgeous! So thick and absolutely captivating just to look at. *heart eyes* It's epic fantasy and a lot of information to take in, but I'm loving it so far.


I picked up The Witch of Blackbird Pond from Goodwill and am wondering why I hadn't read it before now! It's been lovely.


The Girl's Guide to Conquering Life is another "review book", this one from Revell Publishers. It sounded unique and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm almost finished it and it has been interesting - with some helpful tidbits such as basic cooking skills, car maintenance, etc. But it also has some unhelpful tips that I don't really care for ... think feminist, girl-power type stuff.


What was the last truly great book you read?

Let's go with Love Defined by Kristen Clark & Bethany Baird

Land of Silence by Tessa Afshar

And The Sea Before Us by Sarah Sundin

Don't miss these beauties! <3

If you could meet any writer - dead or alive - who would it be and what would you want to know?

I would love to meet Laura Frantz, amazing Christian novelist of romance and American history, and just chat about life, writing, and history.

What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

Hmm ... I don't know? Maybe Fashioned by Faith by Rachel Lee Carter, When the Lilacs Bloom by Susan Kirby, and Lady Washington: A Biographical Novel About America's First First Lady by Dorothy Clarke Wilson. Because ... you haven't heard me talk about them. I don't read many biographies, but I hope to finish Lady Washington someday.




How do you organize your personal library?

By genre. And then within each genre, alphabetically by author's last name. So first I have Christian Living, then Fantasy, Fairy Tale, and Dystopian, then Historical, then Contemporary.

Here's my latest Bookshelf Tour, if you're interested!


 

What book have you always meant to read but haven't gotten around to it yet?

I've been meaning to read To Get to You by Joanne Bischof for years (because I want to read everything and anything by her!), but I just haven't been able to find it at libraries or for a discounted price. I can't exactly afford to buy books brand-new very much!


Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

No, not really. I decided some time ago that I will just read what I enjoy reading and not feel pressured to read things that people consider "classics" and "masterpieces" and "essential reads" if they just don't interest me personally.

Disappointing, overrated, just not good: What book did you feel you were suppose to like but didn't?

I really hoped to enjoy The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo, but I guess it just fell flat for me.

Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?

Probably The Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. There was some swearing and careless, disrespectful uses of God's name. After a few pages of that, it wasn't worth finishing for me.


What kind of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

Beautiful, deep, emotional, redemptive stories. Tales with a fairy tale-ish feel. Stories that display God's love and power and goodness and holiness. Stories I can relate to. Tales with an authentic romance. Stories with rich historical detail.

I can enjoy a lot of different genres ... fantasy, fairy tale, historical, dystopian. I love a good Christian Living. I even can get into contemporary and science-fiction if they have the components mentioned above.

Books I generally steer clear of are really old classics, because they just can't seem to hold my attention. When there are pages and pages describing how the sun glistened off the lake, my attention starts to waver and my focus wander far away from the story in hand.

In the right situation, though, I've enjoyed the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES series, Little WomenElsie Dinsmore, and probably others.


I despise fluffy, self-centered romances that are mainly about physical attraction and chemistry. I don't like "Christian" books where faith is mentioned but the characters do whatever they want, "play with fire" often, and generally don't give a single thought to honoring God.

If you could require the president to read on book, what would it be?

Definitely the Bible. I think it was George Washington who said it's impossible to rightly govern a nation with this precious Book.


16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

What do you plan to read next?

Perhaps Engraved on the Heart by Tara Johnson. I believe I requested it to read and review. It looks beautiful, does it not? I really like the Civil War era.


***

So that's that! I hope you all enjoyed. Please engage in the conversation in the comments below! ^_^ Do you agree or relate, or disagree, with any of my answers?

I Tag:

Deborah O'Carroll @ The Road of a Writer

Natasha @ Simple Things

Sam @ The Light Meets the Dark

Victoria @ Victoria's Book Nook

9 comments:

  1. It was fun reading your answers, Shantelle!
    I recently read “To Get to You” and I really enjoyed it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, Rebekah!

      Eep! That's great! =) I can't wait until I can read it, too!

      Delete
  2. Yay! You did it!
    Was fun to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lot of fun, Felicity! Thanks for tagging me! <33

      Delete
  3. Aww thanks for the tag! I’ll do it on Monday! :D I have some great books for answers. AH! To Get To You looks SO good but Amazon doesn’t have it used yet :( I’m pretty cheap when it comes to new books 😉 It was fun reading your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hey! I just memorized that verse several weeks ago, it’s such a great one!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, Victoria! Looking forward to reading your post!! :D

      I know, right?? Yeah ... I love thrift-shopping for books. But once in awhile I splurge and buy a brand-new book for full price. Like Jaye L. Knight's books. ^_^

      Glad you enjoyed!

      Yes, it truly is an awesome verse! Great job on memorizing it! :)

      Delete
    3. I tagged you for the hallmark movie tag if your interested! :D
      https://victoriasbooknook.blogspot.com/2018/05/hallmark-movie-tag.html?m=1

      Ooohhhh yes! I usually spurge on my favorite authors books! Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. What a fum post to read! I have A Girl's Guide to Conquering Life to read right now too!

    ReplyDelete