Sunday, January 31, 2016

Book Review: Siren's Song by Mary Weber


Purchase HERE

Title: Siren's Song

Author: Mary Weber

Series: Storm Siren Trilogy #3

Genre: Fantasy

Audience: Young Adult

~ MY REVIEW ~
**3.5 stars**

Okay, I don't even know what to rate this book. So in the beginning, I was having a hard time connecting, for some reason or another. At one point in the end, I was internally screaming and promising myself I would sell my copy of Siren's Fury because I hate this ending! Now ... I just don't know.

Siren's Song is the third book in this series, concluding the STORM SIREN TRILOGY by Mary Weber. It starts off with Nymia still battered from the events of the last book ... and planning a showdown with the monster who has taken so much from her.
     Amidst action, suspense, and great, dark battles, this book ties up the story along with a big dose of shock and craziness. Like usual. *wink*

So, as I mentioned above, I had a hard time getting into this book. Maybe it was because I read Storm Siren and Siren's Fury quite awhile ago. I was a tad lost, and just not feeling the story. There wasn't much for action in the beginning either ... lots of conversation mainly that I didn't entirely care about. (It could have certainly been my mood as well!) I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really missing the details of the fantasy world that the first book seemed so rich in! Siren's Song got a little of that back, but not enough for my taste! I wanted to immerse myself in this world, and I just couldn't quite do it. All in all, I was over fifty percent through when I finally started really getting into the story and enjoying it. After I got to that point, I was eager to pick up this book again and again.

I forget his name (shame on me!!), but I love the seven-year-old boy that Nym meets in Siren's Fury. He's still ever present in Siren's Song, and I just ... *hugs him* He was so fun, and sweet, and made me laugh! Favorite character for sure! *grins*

And though I can't quite reconcile myself with a meat-eating horse, I do have a sort of soft side for Haven. Haha. *wrinkles nose* She simply inspires this odd urge to chuckle at times.

I miss Colin soooooo much!!!!!! *tears*

I do appreciate the journey Nym went through too, and how it wraps up in this book. It's a pretty powerful message! "Hold it all lightly." The light spiritual aspect is a little more clear in this book than the other two. The Creator is mentioned more, though the characters have yet to develop any kind of deep relationship with Him. Heaven is talked about briefly. And Nym does seem on the verge of a spiritual break-through. (view spoiler) So that I thought was very touching. It was only a few paragraphs perhaps, but a powerful bit.

The romance was a little iffy to me. Young adult can generally be that way, in my opinion. I felt there was too much physical stuff without any commitment. But their devotion to each other is clear. I do wish happiness for this couple! *smiles*
     Note: There are mentions of lust, hunger, and "gazing at her form". Some heated scenes. A lot of it I just didn't prefer. The ending sentence of the book was a little edgy, but it did make me laugh! (view spoiler)

Oh, another few warning. Lots of "swearing". It's made-up swear words of a fantasy world, as I gather, but still. And, as the books before it, a lot of violence/gruesomeness as well. Caution to younger and sensitive readers. Many parts are not for the faint of heart!

Especially near the end. OH!!! I was so sickened and enraged and sorrowed and just ... it was awful. But what does one expect from a monster bent on consuming evil and destroying the world? O_O

Some mysteries and answers coming to light in this book. I enjoyed seeing Nym's backstory. Draewulf's horrible plan. All that. It certainly was interesting!

Oh yes, and then the part where I nearly lost it and sold Siren's Fury. Um ... it was intense. I could hardly bear it. Just wait until you read it.

That all being said, I think I'm going to settle with 3.5 stars for Siren's Song. It was a powerful conclusion ... I just wasn't all the way there for a lot of the time. However, fans of this series will love it, I'm sure! Get ready for some craziness and emotion, my devoted friends. *smiles and winks*

Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of Siren's Song by Mary Weber.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Shantelle! I was not interested in continuing this series after the first book, but I'm glad to know a few spoilery things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Hannah! Haha, it always is nice to know how things turn out, even if you don't decide to finish the series, hey? :)

      Delete
  2. I have this one left to read and really hope I like it. Time shall tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it, Rissi! :)

      Delete