Thursday, May 18, 2017

Book Review: Bread of Angels by Tessa Afshar


Purchase HERE

Title: Bread of Angels

Author: Tessa Afshar

Series: Standalone

Genre: Historical

Audience: Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

Purple. The foundation of an influential trade in a Roman world dominated by men. One woman rises up to take the reins of success in an incredible journey of courage, grit, and friendship. And along the way, she changes the world.

But before she was Lydia, the seller of purple, she was simply a merchant's daughter who loved three things: her father, her ancestral home, and making dye. Then unbearable betrayal robs her of nearly everything.

With only her father's secret formulas left, Lydia flees to Philippi and struggles to establish her business on her own. Determination and serendipitous acquaintances--along with her father's precious dye--help her become one of the city's preeminent merchants. But fear lingers in every shadow, until Lydia meets the apostle Paul and hears his message of hope, becoming his first European convert. Still, Lydia can't outrun her secrets forever, and when past and present collide, she must either stand firm and trust in her fledgling faith or succumb to the fear that has ruled her life.

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

Bread of Angels by Tessa Afshar surprised me. It took my breath away. Made me weep. Made me laugh. Yes, I stayed up until the wee hours of morning to finish this; it was that good! I've enjoyed this author's previous books, but was not prepared to absolutely adore this one!

It's set in the New Testament time, following the life of a woman, named Lydia, who sells purple cloth. (She's mentioned in Acts 16.) The story spans many years flawlessly, unfolding Lydia's life tale with beauty, betrayal, grief, miracles, and grace. I was enraptured.

First off, the writing quality was spectacular! It was so easy to read each chapter, and start another! They style keeps you interested and ready to read more. I finished most of this not-so-small book in one night.
Secondly, Lydia. She was a wonderful character, whom I quite liked! I related to her struggles. Hoped for her happiness. Loved her friends. Rejoiced in her discovery of true life. Even though Lydia is in her 40s (perhaps?) for a good part of the book and there's not a steady theme of romance, I just related to and loved this story so much. There were so many interesting secondary characters too! And a villain. And some nefarious going-ons. Lydia was a creative and busy woman - and nurtured lots of people. It put hope in my heart. ^_^
Meeting Paul, Silas, Timothy, Luke, and Marcus was truly one of the highlights of the book. Perhaps my very favorite part. I loved it, my friends. *hugs them all* It felt so much like the family of God, and I could imagine myself there amongst them, accepted and cherished. There was so much faith, joy, laughter, and love! Miracles abounded. Trust was discussed and put into practice. They leaned on each other as they sought to follow God with all their hearts. (Spoiler) Because of those, I cried. And cried. And was filled with such warmth, like a bubble of peace and joy surrounded me. Perhaps I glimpsed the family of God - the bliss of heaven. It was stunningly beautiful.

Filled with intrigue. And interesting facts about the dyeing process. Action. Betrayal. Wonderful and spirited people. The good news of Jesus Christ.

I sorrowed with Lydia. I rejoiced with her. I healed with her. And at the end of Bread of Angels, I was filled with hope. Tessa Afshar has written a phenomenal novel, and it is definitely not to be missed!

I received a copy of Bread of Angels from Tyndale House Publishers through the Tyndale Blog Network.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like yet an other book to add to my TBR pile! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should, Polaris! Buy it now! ;D

    ReplyDelete