Friday, November 20, 2015

Book Review: Orphan's Song by Gillian Bronte Adams


Purchase HERE

Title: Orphan's Song

Author: Gillian Bronte Adams

Series: The Songkeeper Chronicles #1

Genre: Fantasy

Audience: Young Adult

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

This book fulfilled my hopeful expectations, I believe. Behind the absolutely gorgeous cover, we find an enchanting tale, akin to THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA series, yet it's own.

Birdie is an orphan, just trying to protect herself from Madame's harsh words and the two terrors, the woman's spoiled sons. Strangely, she hears a Song that no one else seems to hear. Her peddler friend, Amos McElhenny warns her away from singing it ... but Birdie is determined to figure out what people are hiding from her.
     This throws her into a perilous journey, filled with Khelari soldiers, old secrets, and the Underground. For better or worse ... Birdie's life will never be the same.

Alright. ^_^ I was so excited to read by Gillian Bronte Adams; because her books just look so beautiful and intriguing and filled with amazing fantasy. And they are! Orphan's Song caught me from the Prologue. The writing style. The promise of fantastic things to come. The wonderful fantasy creatures and ideas! I LOVED the whole allegory with the Song and the Songkeeper and all that lovely stuff. It was beautiful and awesome, and really touched my heart!

Speaking of the Song ... yes, Orphan's Song is a Christian fantasy from what I can see. The things weren't expounded a whole lot, I still saw a clear allegory and hoping for more to come in the next book! <3 Just beautiful. And poignant.

The characters were great! From Birdie to Amos, and Ky to Gundhrold ... I loved them! I was quite intrigued by the whole group of street orphans and their lives together. Ky was cool! *grins* Birdie was sweet and brave; I really enjoyed her character and discovering her story with her. Can't wait to read more of her! *smiles*

Okay. Evil Khelari soldiers. Pirates. Griffons. Songkeepers. Protectors. Interesting cats. It was all so incredible! I was surprised and delighted again and again. Simply intriguing and grand. Once again ... it really captivated me the way THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA does, in a lot of ways. I liked Gillian Bronte Adams's writing style. It was lyrical and humorous and just great. Kept you in the story and reading! And just, griffons!!!!! EEP! <3 <3

There was a bit more violence and gruesomeness than I expected. I might still let my thirteen-year-old sister read it ... but not sure. My family's kinda sensitive when it comes to that sort of stuff. Caution to younger children anyway.

This book is for all fantasy lovers! Mystery. Allegories. Mythical creatures. Danger. Battles. Good versus evil. All kinds of wonderful things. Fans of C.S. Lewis and Anne Elisabeth Stengl will really enjoy Orphan's Song I believe.

All in all, Orphan's Song is an epic fantasy. I'm so excited to read Book 2 in
THE SONGKEEPER CHRONICLES! Not to mention, Gillian Bronte Adam's standalone, Out of Darkness Rising!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This has been on my to-read list forever because 1. the cover is beautiful, and 2. GRIFFINS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Serena! I agree, the cover is gorgeous! And yes, griffons!! :D You should read it soon! ^_^

      Delete
  3. So glad you agree! This is one of my all time favourite books :D I should re review it at some point as my old review got lost :/

    I love the cover art too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was fabulous!! ^_^

      And you should re-review it! :) Ugh, that's terrible when reviews get lost!! I had that happen to me a few times.

      It gorgeous, isn't it! :) :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely review, @Shantelle H!! :)

    ReplyDelete