Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Book Launch: Why I Recommend the Out of Time series by Nadine Brandes

     I'm excited to be discussing the OUT OF TIME series by Nadine Brandes with you today! (Read my reviews of Book One, A Time to Die, and Book Two, A Time to Speak - releasing October 16th).



So, the OUT OF TIME series is a Christian, young-adult, dystopian series published by Enclave Publishing. Nadine Brandes combines faith, danger, suspense, drama, and a hint of romance; unfolding a rich and poignant tale amidst a unique futuristic world. 
     Her characters are incredible. Her setting, captivating. Her story,  raw and unforgettable. Her faith theme, beautiful.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy this series. Harsh and heart-rending though it may be at times, it was ultimately an absolutely beautiful journey! ^_^

"Tomorrow was never promised to us." - Parvin Blackwater

"We have to become uncomfortable in our lives to become comfortable in our faith." - Solomon Hawke [A Time to Speak (OUT OF TIME #2) by Nadine Brandes]

So what makes the OUT OF TIME series so amazing? Why do I recommend it? How is it different (and similar) to the mainstream, popular dystopian reads?

I have read THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and watched the first three movies. I've also watched Divergent [2014] (based on the DIVERGENT series by Veronica Roth); which largely introduced me to, and started my love for, the dystopain genre.


     Something about these strange and yet somehow realistic worlds and scenarios grabbed my attention. This idea of teens having to rise up with boldness and courage and fight against an evil, oppressive government intrigued me. So I started looking for more dystopian films and books. I watched The Hunger Games [2012]. Loved Catching Fire [2013]. Read the first two books. Nearly died at the end of Mockingjay: Part 1 [2014] ...

You see, there was a slight problem. The violence. And then an even bigger problem, the lack of hope - the dismal endings.
     I was so captivated by the worlds of Divergent and The Hunger Games ... so caught up in the story ... so happy about the heart-melting romances ... and then The End comes with depression instead of joy. I sit there feeling vaguely lost and a bit depressed, wondering why nobody warned me never to pick up Book One.

That's where A Time to Die and A Time to Speak by Nadine Brandes differ. Yes, they do still have the fantastic dystopian world. The evil on free reign. The oppressive government. The horrific times. BUT, there is real hope.
     A vibrant message of faith, of hope, of love is woven into the fabric of this series. God's voice is heard. His power is real. Some days seem hopeless, but Parvin Blackwater (the main character) is still reaching out for Shalom. Striving on. And no matter what happens, you know that God is there and in control! There's a raw beauty and spectacular hope to this series that the THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT trilogies simply don't have.
     And not only that, it lacks the heights of violence and gore that The Hunger Games and Mockingjay, especially, display. There is still a strong theme of violence, and some disturbing happenings in the OUT OF TIME series, but it's definitely not nearly as bad or detailed. I felt Nadine Brandes did everything in a real, but tasteful way. Whereas The Hunger Games (book and movie) and Mockingjay were really hard for me to stomach at points.

SIMILARITIES: 
Strong Female Lead // Adventure and Action // Futuristic // Oppressive Government // Raw and Emotional // Romance Themes // Thrilling // Danger // Fighting //

DIFFERENCES: 
Hope // Christian-Based (beautiful themes of faith) // Heroine with Vulnerable and Soft Side // Less Violence and Gore // No Inappropriate Scenes // Meaningful and Thought-provoking //

"If my mind got destroyed and only my heart remained, would I still love God?" - Parvin Blackwater

So if you've enjoyed series like THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT, I urge you to try out Nadine Brandes's amazing books! If you don't enjoy mainstream dystopian, then I still recommend that you pick up A Time to Die. I like (but sometimes hate) mainstream dystopian novels ... and absolutely love the OUT OF TIME series. Because it's dystopian, but different than the norm. God and His awesome love and power make all the difference! ^_^

 "The Lord is arising. For us. Like a general for battle, and I want to fight as His soldier." - Parvin Blackwater

"My belief in God isn't just because He's my ticket to comfort. It's because He's ... God. He's shown Himself to me. I sense His voice." - Parvin Blackwater [A Time to Speak (OUT OF TIME #2) by Nadine Brandes]

Why else do I recommend this series? It's dystopian, *grins* It's intriguing and fun even while terrible and harsh. I don't know, dystopian is just cool to me. I love seeing how our world "changed" and what new traditions, rules, and quirks people have come up with.

Tally ho > Okay

Welks > You're Welcome

Good sunrise > Good morning

Good noon > Good afternoon

Good twilight > Good night

~ High City Talk ~

"They will be angry. You must be calm. They will have questions. You must be honest. They will watch you. You must be confident." - Mother

The OUT OF TIME series is just lovely. It challenges you. You find yourself growing alongside the main character, eighteen-year-old Parvin Blackwater. It's beautiful, warming my heart and bringing tears to my eyes. It's hopeful - but like I mentioned above, even if things don't end up good, you just have this lingering sense of peace and trust. God is in control. Wow. Now that's powerful. It makes you feel brave.
     If you're looking for dystopian that moves you, and means something, and touches your soul, look no further than the OUT OF TIME series by Nadine Brandes.
     I totally recommend ... especially urge Christian audiences to pick up these books! (The only caution I would insert, is this: there are frightening scenes, intense moments, and themes of violence. Younger or sensitive readers should beware.)

"I've finally learned how to live." - Parvin Blackwater

     So don't miss this epic series! I myself can hardly wait for Book Three, coming 2016!! *grins*

~ Author Nadine Brandes briefly explains what her debut novel, A Time to Die, is about. ~


How would you live if you knew the day you’d die?
Parvin Blackwater believes she has wasted her life. At only seventeen, she has one year left according to the Clock by her bedside. In a last-ditch effort to make a difference, she tries to rescue Radicals from the government’s crooked justice system. 
But when the authorities find out about her illegal activity, they cast her through the Wall — her people’s death sentence. What she finds on the other side about the world, about eternity, and about herself changes Parvin forever and might just save her people. But her clock is running out.

What happens when you live longer than you wanted to? 
Parvin Blackwater wanted to die, but now she’s being called to be a leader. The only problem is, no one wants to follow.
The Council uses Jude’s Clock-matching invention to force “new-and-improved” Clocks on the public. Those who can’t afford one are packed into boxcars like cattle and used for the Council’s purposes.
Parvin and Hawke find themselves on a cargo ship of Radicals headed out to sea. What will the Council do to them? And why are people suddenly dying before their Clocks have zeroed-out?

Author Nadine Brandes

Nadine’s links:
Book links:

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great series! I'll have to make sure it's on my to-read list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do, Serena!! It's an amazing series! ^_^ I think you would like it!

      Delete
  2. OH! I SOO want to read these!! I pre-ordered the second book, and I'm getting the first!! *grins like crazy* So excited!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Alyssa!! They're both amazing! I'm sure you'll enjoy them ... and be dying for Book 3 (like I am!!) :D

      Say, are you coming to the facebook party? :)

      Delete
  3. I so feel you with THE HUNGER GAMES! My Grandma got me that series and I fell in love with dystopian after that, but the lack of hope was horrible! I'm so thankful for series like these that are dystopian, but have an amazing message of hope! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my feelings, Laura! I love dystopian, but can't stand lack of hope/depressing endings. So finding the OUT OF TIME series was pretty exciting for me! :D

      Yes, me too!! ^_^ Thank you! Have you read A Time to Die yet?

      Delete