Thursday, March 22, 2018

Spring Cleaning Writer Tag Challenge

Hello, bookish friends! Today I'm coming to you with the Spring Cleaning Writer Tag Challenge! And I'm super excited about it. ^_^ (*whispers*: I've been wanting to give an update on my writing and this made for the perfect chance.)

I was tagged by the lovely Deborah O'Carroll, who is the creator of this tag. (Awesome job, by the way, Deborah!) Thank you, my dear! <3

Alright. Without further ado, let's get onto the tag!


The Rules:

  • Link back to the person who tagged you
  • Share the picture
  • Answer the questions (naturally…) or even pick and choose which ones you answer
  • Tag 3 other writers and inform them that you tagged them (via comment/message/email or hey, even carrier-pigeon or smoke signal; I’m not picky)


The Questions:

1. Dust-bunnies and Plot-bunnies: Reorganize Your Writing Goals (Or Make New Ones)

Writing update! Yay! *cheers* *ahem* So ... *cheering fades away* I have not been a good little author. Or even a good little writer. As an "author", I have not used the best marketing tip, which is to publish another book. As a writer, I have not been writing every day. Eek. Not even close. Almost all of last year was just a bad writing year for me.

However, I did make some writing goals this year, at least pertaining to blogging. I'm going to post at least once a week on this blog and every Tuesday and Saturday on Lady Grace. I've been doing well with that.

Not so much with novel-writing. *sad face* But at least I've been writing something. And I'm learning sometimes writers just have to take breaks and put their WIP aside for awhile (maybe even months upon months).

That all being said, I want to rise up to the challenge and make goals pertaining to novel writing, as this tag asks. I've been feeling my storytelling-self awakening at long last, so I want to get back into writing.

The good news, I wrote some on a story last week! *all the happiness* It was a lovely feeling.

The bad news, I've been taking on perhaps a little more than I can handle when it comes to writing/reading/studying/bookish stuff. I'm part of two Bible studies, which I really want to be invested in. I have two blogs to maintain. I have review books and book launches. Booktube. And I don't even know what all else. Just a lot of writing stuff. So ... *feels a tad overwhelmed when thinking of adding writing epic fantasy worlds to the list*

Perhaps I shall write up a schedule. (I think I actually thrive on those, even though I cringe at the thought of them.) Schedule in working on novels! For now I'm going to try to work on my story at least once every week. #newwritinggoal Perhaps the Sundays when I don't have Bible study. Which would be this coming Sunday ... keep me accountable, fellow writers! *winks*

(Okay. I think I over-answered that question. Oops. Onto the next!)

2. Which Stage Are You At? Expound!

a. Remodeling layouts (planning the story)
b. Painting the walls in colorful hues (writing)
c. Polishing the windows and scrubbing the floors and putting flowers in vases (editing)
d. Blueprints (not to the cleaning or remodeling yet … just drawing up plans for the very beginning inklings of a story)
e. Some combination of those things (cleaning out a closet)


Alrighty. I believe I would be somewhere between A. and B. Well, mostly B. – writing! But also a little bit of A.—planning the story—because I don't exactly have everything figured out. I'm currently working on Diamond's Quest, the sequel to Silver Rose. I started writing it a few years ago and got about 50 pages in on Microsoft Word before I realized it just wasn't working. I ended up changing the main character and basically starting all over. Then I tweaked it again. And again. So I think I finally have it to where I can really start writing, but I have notes and scenes all over the place that I need to get into order ...

I'm also a little bit at C.—editing—because Silver Rose is *still* in the editing stage! I'm looking into getting a professional opinion. And I have been reading through it here and there, doing some more of my own editing. I really, really hope that I can start the publishing process this year. Get it published, at last, late this year or next year!

I could also say D. – inklings of a story. For I have been vaguely plotting out and dreaming up scenes from book three in my fantasy series. (Which happens to be about Ivory, for those of you who've read Silver Rose.)

So basically, all of the above? hehe #writerproblems 


3. Treasure From the Back of the Closet (Share one to three snippets you love!)




So the first two snippets are from a random story I started awhile ago. I just unearthed it today and felt a yearning within to continue writing it! (Wait, Shantelle, I thought you were working on your Silver Rose trilogy?? *facepalm*)

The third snippet is from the recent work I've done on Diamond's Quest.

I'm not sure if this is good writing, folks, but it makes me happy. Being with my characters. Feeling their feelings. Going on their adventures. <3

3.5. Bonus: Do Some Actual Spring Cleaning of Your Writer Self! (and share a picture!)

I'm an organized person. I love organizing when I start it. I thrive on organization. *laughs* Plus I dislike having a lot of stuff and/or clutter. So I generally keep my writing space and bookish documents on my laptop pretty neat. Every few months I probably go through stuff and clean and organize and rearrange and get rid of things and all that. *grins*

My writing space ... well ... I don't exactly have one. Sometimes I write at the dining room table, on my laptop. Or a notebook. Most times I'm probably in my bedroom. Here's a picture ...



I Tag:

LaKaysha @ Calico and Lace



***

So there's that! Once again, thank you so much for tagging me, Deborah! It was good to get the push to dust off the novelist deep down inside. ^_^

Comment and let me know what you all think!

Blessings, dear readers!

4 comments:

  1. EEK, I loved your answers! This is perfect! :D I'm so glad it was a good excuse for you to chat about writing things and I hope it's making you more excited about that! <3

    I've been in a similar situation recently, and this last year, so you're not alone! *hugs* Sometimes less writing happens, and we have seasons, and all that stuff. I've been very busy myself with blogging and reviewing and editing and stuff, so I TOTALLY get that. Sometimes I think I can only balance a few things at a time, and if I'm reading more I'm not writing, and so on. A schedule can definitely help... and I should do that too. XD

    (I NEVER write every day though. I just can't or I get burned out. I'm a binge-writer who would rather write a couple thousand words in a day, every other week, than write 100 words every day.)

    Being in several different modes of writing is actually a great thing, because then it can stay fresh! :) EEP, I'm so excited you've been working on Diamond's Quest (that's fantastic you're getting it figured out!), and editing Silver Rose! :D Don't rush it, but I'm so excited for that to be published when you feel ready! Know that I'm here to help you out on that journey in any way I can! <3 *one of your biggest fans* (Eeee, Ivory storyyyy! :D YAAAS.)

    AWK, I LOVE YOUR SNIPPETS SO MUCH. Particularly the first one--so beautiful and intense! And I'm very curious about the lavender eyes... :O And the last one sounds sweet!

    You're not the only one who gets random story ideas attacking you. ;) Happens to me a lot. SO many stories clamoring for attention!

    I love that you're so organized! AND YOUR ROOM IS SO PRETTY. Thank you for sharing a pic! I love that. ^_^

    You're so welcome, and thanks for doing the tag! Dusting off our inner novelist from time to time is definitely important. ;) It was so fun to read! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eee, so happy you loved them! I wasn't sure if all my rambling would be kinda boring or not, so I'm glad you hear good responses from you, my dear! <333 It DID definitely stir up some excitement, so thank you, again for creating this tag!

      Thanks! *hugs* It's good to know others relate and understand. I'm really pondering writing up a schedule, haha! It truly would probably work wonders in my life. ;D Let me know if you do!

      You know, as I think about it, I probably do better binge-writing as well. If I just let myself be okay with not writing every day, my spurts of inspiration and passion might come more easily every week or every other week & I probably would get way more writing done than when I just get stressed out because I haven't written in days ... and then I feel too burned out and down on myself to write when inspiration does show its face. Hmm. Thanks for sharing that ... I think it shall be helpful! :))

      That's true. Sometimes it overwhelms me to have a bunch of different projects, but if I schedule myself, it'll be okay! Haha! EEP! Your comment totally made my day, Deborah! And keeps sending happiness into my writer heart. Thank you so much for your support and devotion to my characters & stories!!! <33333 It keeps me going. You're the best, sweet friend! ^_^
      (I'm rather excited about writing Ivory's story ... =D We'll see how it goes once I actually get writing.)

      YAY! I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVE THEM. *big hugs* Always sooo encouraging to hear someone enjoys my writing! Lavender eyes ... *secretive author grin* I'm rather in love with the thought of this story, but I'm not sure when it'll be finished or if. But my sister keeps pestering me to write more to it, so maybe... ^_^

      Right?! There are always stories dancing through my head. It's just trying to decide which ones I will be most likely finish once I start writing them down. xD

      Aw, thanks! You're welcome! I love sharing pictures and bits of personal life stuff. :)

      It is important, indeed. Yay for writers banding together and encouraging each other! <3 I'm glad you enjoyed, Deborah. Keep writing, and living out your passions, and resting in the Lord, my friend! Thanks again for your beautiful comment ... you have no idea how much it encourages me.

      Delete
  2. Eeeep what a fun tag! I love your snippets: they're so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun! I loved it. Aww, thank you so, so much! <333

      Delete