Friday, December 22, 2017

The Christmas Tag

I was tagged for The Christmas Tag! Christmas is in three days, folks! Are you resting in the peace of Jesus Christ and rejoicing in the hope He brings? ^_^

I admit, often it's hard to spend December being still before God and developing a heart of worship and praise. This month has been difficult for me in some ways, but it has also had many beautiful moments and I've been able to spend quite a bit of time in prayer. I pray that you allow yourself to be filled with His love, joy, and peace this Christmas season and into the new year of 2018!

Anyway, on to the tag! Thank you, Natasha @ Simple Things for tagging me! *hugs*

(picture found on pixabay.com)

1} What is your favorite Christmas movie?

I don't believe I watch actual Christmas movies. However, Love's Long Journey (2005), Felicity: An American Girl Adventure (2005), and The Sound of Music (1965) are perhaps movies I've seen during the Christmas season and have a cozy, nostalgic, or festive feel to them. The first two have parts of celebrating Christmas in the duration of the film.




The TV series, Call the Midwife (2012-), has some lovely Christmas specials that I've enjoyed. (Note: I haven't exactly kept up with this series because some of the later seasons have been pushing liberal agendas.)




2} Have you ever had a white Christmas?

Yes, indeed! At least during the years I lived in the cold and wintery state of Minnesota. Last year I experienced a white Christmas, I believe. *smiles*

3} Where do you usually spend your holiday?

At home! Going to relative's houses for dinner. There have only been a few times when my family actually traveled somewhere for Christmas.

4} What is your favorite Christmas song?

I love O Come, O Come Emmanuel. One version, of many, that I like is by Celtic Angels.



5} Do you open any Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve?

Um ... I don't really know. I didn't last year, anyway, haha.

6} Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?

Absolutely not. I don't keep up all that stuff, apparently. I never knew much about Santa Claus. *laughs and shrugs*

7} What holiday tradition are you looking forward to most this year?

Well, I really enjoy the usual relaxed, family time that we have on Christmas morning. The kids are up fairly early, typically, wanting to see what's in their stockings. We have some special foods for breakfast. Everyone sits in the living room amid presents, sweets, and laughter. It's just cozy and close.

I've tried to make it a tradition to make Chocolate Cherry Pudding Cake on Christmas Day. We've done it a couple years, and have all the ingredients to make it in a few days! ^_^

(Click the picture to find the recipe this pic goes with. I use this recipe, but don't follow it exactly.)

8} Is your Christmas tree real or fake?

It is real this year! Some years we don't have a tree. But this year we do and it's perched all lit up and lovely in our living room.

9} What is your all-time favorite holiday food/sweet treat?

Dark chocolate with sea salt? Spiced apple cider? Chocolate cherry pudding cake?? *hugs yummy food* Those kind of come to mind when I think about Christmas.

10} Be honest: Do you like giving gifts or receiving gifts better?

Receiving gifts is fun, but it's not what I look forward to Christmas for. And ... I'm not much of a gift-giver. I don't always get excited in anticipation of presents (though I do usually like what I receive & truly appreciate people's thoughtfulness and care! *hugs sweet people tightly*), so maybe giving gifts isn't something I'm good at, likewise.

If I bought/put together a gift that I knew someone would really love, I could get very excited to give it to them and feel a lot of warmth in the face of their happiness.

(found on pixabay.com)

11} What is the best gift you've ever received?

Quality time. Connection and conversation. Laughter. Genuine hugs.

Not saying I don't feel special when people take the time to buy and give gifts to me. Especially gifts that they would only know to give me if they took time to get to know me! Presents are special things. It's just that my primary love languages involve relationship and conversation. *winks*

12} What would be your dream place to visit for the holiday season?

*thinks* *thinks some more* Well, I do have very fond memories of having family reunions of sorts during Christmastime.

Vacationing at a nice city all festive for Christmas is fun.

13} Are you a pro present-wrapper, or do you fail miserably?

Probably closer to failing than being a pro.

14} Most memorable holiday moment?

Playing a lively game with my grandparents, older brother, aunt and uncle, and cousins on Christmas Eve, I believe. We laughed crazily and it was beautiful. Still warms my heart and makes me smile when I think about it.

(found on pixabay.com)

15} What made you realize the truth about Santa?

As I mentioned above, I never really got into the Santa stuff. I watched that one movie, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, perhaps once. And I've seen a couple random movies about Santa Claus or Jack Frost. But those traditions and fanciful tales were never a huge part of my Christmas celebrations. Not the real reason for celebrating Christmas anyway, right? *smiles*

16} Do you make New Year's resolutions? Do you stick to them?

No, I probably never have seriously made any.

17} What makes the holiday special for you?

Family time // candlelit evening church services // singing joyful and peaceful Christmas songs // holiday foods // festive gatherings // ... I can't always hold onto it, but I seek to dwell on the love, joy, and peace of the Lord. To reflect on the hope the birth of Jesus Christ brought. Because He came, I now have a Savior. I have been given the undeserved right to be a daughter of the Heavenly King. I have been given the gift of adoption into an eternal family.

(found on pixabay.com)

During the Christmas season, I want my heart to swell with the beauty of God's plan and the joy and peace of belonging to Jesus forever.

It is perhaps a time to remember and dwell on the truly important things in life - and that is a precious thing to me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

(found on pixabay.com)

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe Christmas is so soon! Where has the time gone?

    I got "Felicity" for Christmas one year, I believe I was 8 or 9? I was so excited :D I still have it but haven't watched it in years. *hides face*
    I also was given the "Felicity" doll for Christmas when I was... 6? I wasn't one to really play with dolls but I loved dressing her up and carrying her around with me. She is still special <3

    Santa was never a part of Christmas for us either. My parents always told us "there once was a real man named Saint Nicholas, but he doesn't bring gifts every Christmas or fly with reindeer."

    I actually DO know all the names of his reindeer, but only because of the song about Rudolph *blush*
    "You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen. Comet and Cupid, and Donner and Blitzen.... but do you recall the most famous reindeer of all?"

    The Grinch Who Stole Christmas? *Shutter* my Grandma had that one VHS. Scariest. Movie. Ever. Still gives me chills *laughs*

    Praying you have a Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas 2017 has come and gone! It's strange to think about. It didn't feel so very much like Christmas this year, to me, but I still enjoyed some very lovely moments. ^_^

      I did watch "Felicity" for the first time in awhile with my youngest sisters. That's probably already been a couple years ago now.
      I believe I was nine when I got the Felicity doll! :D She was fun to dress up in her pretty, colonial-era gowns!! Now she stands on my ten-year-old sister's dresser and all her clothes are packed away on my closet shelf.

      Yep, we heard a little of that story, too. It's pretty neat. And I have heard the Rudolph song, but I guess the names of the reindeer never stuck in my mind, haha. ;D

      Oh, hehe. I think I remember being a little disturbed while watching "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas". I believe I was fairly young and don't really remember much of it.

      Thank you, my dear! <33 Hope you and your family had a beautiful Christmas! ^_^

      Delete
  2. I hope you had a Merry Christmas, Shantelle! :) I had fun reading the answers to this tag! Loves Long Journey and Felicity are fun movies and yes, they do both have some great Christmas parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Rebekah, thank you! ^_^ Hope you did, too!!

      I'm glad you enjoyed this post. I enjoy watching Christmas celebrated in movies! :))

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the gifts thing. According to my test, I'm about 0% gift giving in terms of love languages. Quality time/physical touch are way way better for me.

    Merry (belated) Christmas and Happy 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sounds like we're kinda alike! Quality time and Words of Affirmation are pretty big for me, I think. Physical touch is nice, too. For example, I always feel like I didn't really say "good bye" to someone if I didn't hug them!

      Thank you! Happy 2018 to you! God bless you! :)

      Delete