Friday, September 5, 2014

Movie Review: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

 
My Review (4.5 stars):
 
     The excitement is growing. Getting captured, fighting darkness, giant spiders, and waking a dragon... I liked The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) even more than the first movie! There was more action, I think. More is discovered... we're coming closer... And of course, there's a cliffhanger ending. :( But it was still epic! Can't wait to watch all three movies in a row!
     
     The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) was more violent than The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012). More mini battles, more orces getting beheaded and whatnot. And then there were the giant spiders... which definitely creeped me out... but were a necessary part of the story I suppose! It was kind of creepy and great all at once, ha! :p But yeah, a few scary/intense/yucky parts that definitely give this movie a reason to be pg-13.
 
     The elves... were amazing. The scenes of Legolas and Tauriel's epic fighting were most certainly my favorite parts of the movie! Love the elves. Love the interaction between the king's son and the captain of the guard. Their story intrigues me, and I'm excited to see more of it. Yeah... the red-haired Tauriel's appearance really made The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) all the better for me; I felt a girl character with a bigger role was due, :)
 
     Bilbo was brilliant and endearing as usual. The dwarves funny. The skin-changer added some new excitement and intrigue to the whole story... and not just a little amount of chill. Oh, and Bard from Lake-town also added a whole new element to this journey. His children were great too, and gave his story depth. Oh, and Smaug, we finally come face to face with Smaug... which is quite exciting, and terrible all at once!
 
     As I mentioned, the elves' fighting was great. The barrel scene was fresh, funny, and exciting! Just too much fun. Also, the fighting scenes in Lake-town were great. Though the scene there of Tauriel saving a sick dwarf left me a little weirded out. But from what I understand, the elves have a special gift in healing??
 
     The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) just left me more wound up and excited than ever about this hobbit's tale. Since I haven't read the book, I'm left breathless and full of terror mixed with anticipation. I can't imagine how its all going to work out right. What happens to dear Gandalf? Where does Legolas end up as he's chasing down Bolg? How does Tauriel answer Kili? Why does the elf king not want to help fight against evil? Does Bard escape in time to counter Smaug's return for revenge? And what's going to happen with the necromancer and his dark army?
 
     Guys, I am so excited to watch The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)!! All in all, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) leaves you enthralled yet wishing for more! :) :)
 
 [Turiel]
 
[The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies trailer]

No comments:

Post a Comment