Saturday, September 5, 2015

Book Review: To Darkness Fled by Jill Williamson


Purchase HERE

Title: To Darkness Fled

Author: Jill Williamson

Series: Blood of Kings #2

Genre: Fantasy

Audience: Young Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

Enter darkness ...


They have no choice. Chased by an evil prince, Achan, Vrell, and the Kingsguard knights flee into Darkness. They head north, for Tsaftown and Ice Island, where they must free an army that can help them fight for Er’Rets.
Darkness sickens Vrell. How long can she keep her secret without being caught? Achan already suspects her of lying. If she is not careful, he will suspect her of treason as well. She hopes he will let his suspicions go until they reach her home. 
Achan wanted freedom, but this new journey has bound him more than ever. Sir Gavin’s claims are so far fetched. First, that there might only be one God, and second, that this God chose Achan to push back Darkness, the magnificent curse of Er’Rets. Him. Achan. Barely a man himself.
Each setback Darkness brings seems minor compared to the one choice only Achan can make. What will he choose?


~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

To Darkness Fled by Jill Williamson - the book that kept me up until, well ... we'll just leave it at the wee hours of morning. *wink* I have been on rather a bad schedule, but truly, this story was so superb I just ignored the time! I wanted to keep reading and reading until I was finished. And then I thought,"Why did I do that? Now I have to wait forever for the next book!" So yes, it's like you want to read the book straight through without stopping, but then you regret it because you don't have the next book on hand.

It's just amazing writing. Fascinating adventure. Heart-melting romance. The journey starts in By Darkness Hid, Book One. In this book, Achan and Vrell are on the run from the men who rejected the truth of Achan's royal blood at the end of the first book. Through giant attacks, kidnappings, and a growing friendship, Vrell Sparrow stubbornly keeps her true identity a secret. And Achan struggles to face the reality that he is to be king if all works out the way his companions intend.
     And through it all, darkness continues to stalk them. Will they all come out unscathed?

Seriously, this is like one of my newest favorite series. I don't even know quite what it is about it ... the amazing fantasy world, the Christian allegory theme, adorable romance, superb characters, action and adventure, humor ... but By Darkness Hid, and now To Darkness Fled have completely thrilled me. Just the sight of the thick books with their intriguing covers makes my heart leap with excitement! *grins* It's one huge adventure.

I liked Vrell Sparrow (or Lady Vrella) so much in this book. Well, at least until the end-ish, and then I was tsking and shaking my head, inwardly yelling, "Vrell, no!!! Why are you so stubborn and foolish??" But truly, she's a great character. And her whole boy charade is fabulous. I absolutely adore the interactions between her and Achan. And how he calls her 'Sparrow' and tousles her hair. He has no idea; and she's always squeaking and blushing. It's wonderful, hehe ^_^ She's also such a splendid healer ... and just a brave, little, spunky thing. Oh my goodness, her antics near the end of the book had me giggling madly. (Of course, that would have been when it was the wee hours of morning). *Ahem* Anyway, To Darkness Fled definitely has it's humorous side. I love it!! I love interactions that make me laugh. I love young boy and girl who are friends and unintentionally fell in love who make you laugh. It's all just grand.

That being said, I like Achan too. Sometimes he was a bit pompous. And I wanted to smack him. I really could have smacked him for what he thought that sent Vrell off the deep end. Oh brother. Those two have some serious issues to work out. ...If Vrell ever stops doing things her own way!!

Sir Gavin, Sir Caleb, Inko ... all wonderful companions. Gren and Bran and their stories were interesting, and kinda sweet. Fun traveling about and meeting people here and there. Fighting giants. Hiding. Being on the run. Great fun. *grins* The fighting the dark guys was a bit scary.

Once again, the whole sharing thoughts and all, "bloodvoicing", could be weird at times. It's partly interesting and fantasy ... but partly just weird. I don't know. I didn't mind it so much in this book, but caution if you don't like that sort of thing! That's about the only "magic" element. And it's really more a fantasy element than magic. It's a gift from God in the story. There is some other magic, but it's black magic used by the bad guys. Then there's some fantastical creatures and whatnot, which is always fun! Well-done fantasy world! ^_^

Need I say more about the romance? Perhaps. It's just too adorable. I love it soooo much! *beams* Despite the fact that Vrell is disguised ... and Achan sees her as a scrawny "boy" ... she's falling for him without quite knowing it. And they have this cute friendship. And - and, well, I should probably just let you read it for yourself. But it's just so unique and adorable!! <3 Achan and Vrell have some growing up to do yet, but I just love them together!

Let's see. So caution if you're not into some slightly strange fantasy elements. I would say about sixteen and up, considering the romance. There's a kiss or so, and perhaps some slightly heated moments. Mistresses are talked about. Some scandalous happenings glimpsed or alluded to. Probably some slightly violent happenings. Alarming incidents. The dark-being-sort-of-things may be a bit frightening.

All in all? To Darkness Fled is a raw, dangerous, sweet, humorous, hair-raising adventure. It's an example of fantasy at its best. The characters are unforgettable. The whole feel is very real. Amazing job, Jill Williamson! I could hardly stop reading. And now I can hardly wait for From Darkness Won! (But I am kind of scared too ... because it's the last book!!!)

Anyway, fantasy lovers, you don't want to miss this fabulous three-book adventure!! <3

2 comments:

  1. I have followed Jill Williamson on social media for years, but I REALLY need to get reading some of her books!! This sounds awesome, and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely try this series out!! It's the first of Jill Williamson's series I've read ... and I just love it! :)

      Delete