Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Review: The Princess Spy by Melanie Dickerson


Purchase HERE

Title: The Princess Spy

Author: Melanie Dickerson

Series: Hagenheim #5

Genre: Historical/Fairy Tale

Audience: Young Adult

~ MY REVIEW ~
**4 stars**

I was quite excited to finally get to read another book by Melanie Dickerson! Yay for medieval fairytale romances! *smiles* The Princess Spy was a lovely story, based on the fairytale, The Frog Prince, I believe; and I quite enjoyed it!

So this story is connected to all four of Melanie’s previous books, I’m pretty sure. Margaretha, our main character, is the daughter of Lady Rose (from The Healer’s Apprentice), and is sister to the heroes from The Fairest Beauty and The Captive Maiden. And I think Colin, our other main character, is somehow connected to the hero from The Merchant’s Daughter. So there you have it. If I’m right in my speculations, the stories are all entwined together!
     In The Princess Spy, Margaretha is contemplating whether or not to accept Lord Claybrook’s proposal of marriage. And trying to figure out if people are annoyed by her constant chatter. Colin is a young lord set on revenge, and not about to be deterred. Then new dangers arise, throwing both their lives into chaos. Margaretha and Colin are on a journey to save their family and friends. And perhaps to find faith, hope … and love?

Suspenseful. Adventurous. Romantic. And sweet. The Princess Spy was sooo sweet! ^_^ Some parts were a bit slow, but overall it was a very worthwhile read. I loved Colin and Margaretha together, and watching their relationship grow … their love blossom!
     On that note, there were a few heated scenes when it came to romance. But I did really appreciate the constraint and boundaries that were shown as this love story unfolded. Perhaps it was just the “properness” of the era and family, but Colin was quite a respectful guy, and always aware … We’re not betrothedI don’t see marriage in the future, so I shouldn’t … Even if he himself was in love with this girl. I saw it as him protecting her heart and his.

Anyway. Yes. It was a cute tale for sure. Some parts had me holding my breath, like: “Oh no! How’s this going to turn out okay?” And there was some violence, not too bad; but a bit jarring at points. There were unexpected twists and turns too, which made it exciting. And it ended in an altogether darling way, *happy sigh* I loved how the fathers were involved (in the ending part). I adore the young, innocent love theme. So tender. So uncertain, but sweet. Gentle and true.

Ah. Now I’m eagerly awaiting The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest!

No comments:

Post a Comment