Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Book Review: For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think


Purchase HERE

Title: For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think

Author: Shaunti Feldhahn and Lisa A. Rice

Genre: Christian Living/Self-Help

Audience: Young Adult

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

My first read of the new year! And was it ever worth it. This is my second time reading For Young Women Only: What You Need to Know About How Guys Think by Shaunti Feldhahn and Lisa A. Rice. But let me assure you, I was no less surprised, encouraged, amazed, and challenged reading it over. A little saddened and convicted too. I guess the older you get, the more it impacts you; the more you realize and understand what this book is trying to say.

So did you know that your seemingly harmless teasing or constant "check-ups" on a guy can really effect him in a negative way? Or that a man getting angry (feeling disrespected or not trusted) is the equivalent to a woman crying (feeling unloved or not cherished)? Or that your "cute" outfits are creating havoc in the minds of even young men who are trying to do right?

It's a pretty well-known fact that men and women are different, and we often have a hard time understanding each other. Well ... why don't we try to understand? Stop the selfishness. Get rid of the "poor me" mentality. Quit trash-talking men when we are equally to blame! Yes, if you are in an abusive relationship of any type, then this doesn't apply. But otherwise, we should try to support the men in our lives. Let's build them up, encourage them, be their helper - as God created us to. Not to just your boyfriend, but your brothers, father, and other guy acquaintances. They're all created and loved by God. We should strive to love them the same.

For Young Women Only has some ground-breaking advice on how to do this. This book really explores the minds of men; myths about them that aren't quite what we imagined, and other secrets that quite stun us. Like, you can say "I love you" all you want, but if you're sending messages of "I don't respect you"/"I can't trust you", he's not going to be feeling good about himself or your relationship. So yes, read this book if you're looking to be a better girlfriend, sister, daughter, just a more understanding and godly young woman overall. I mean, most of us don't want to be hurting our guy friends and whatnot, so why not figure out what they're thinking?

This book can have a feeling of being more directed toward the average, high-school girl ... which it is, I believe. So if you're not exactly that girl, some parts of the book will have you feeling not as connected. It was like that for me. Like, I might have thought like that when I was fifteen, but now I'm seeking a godly marriage, not a fun dating relationship that may or may not last forever. However, most of For Young Women Only was very interesting and relevant for me.

So look no further to learn important things about modesty, dating, and men's feelings and thoughts. This book may be written by women, but they got all their information from men! It's straightforward and just telling it how it is for men (not: this is right or this is wrong), but at the same time, there is a Christian aspect and sensitivity (nothing graphic or such).

I very much appreciated this chance to look inside the minds of men. I truly want to be a support, not a hindrance, to my brothers. So this was extremely helpful. All young ladies, do pick up this book ... be surprised and convicted, but most of all, enriched! And as for men, I would encourage you to read something like For Men Only: A Straightforward Guide to the Inner Lives of Women. Let's learn to be a team, not in competition or dragging the other down.

Amazingly insightful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment