Thursday, May 17, 2018

Book Review: The Land of Silence by Tessa Afshar


Purchase HERE

Title: Land of Silence

Author: Tessa Afshar

Series: Standalone

Genre: Biblical Historical

Audience: Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

Before Christ called her daughter ...

Before she stole healing by touching the hem of his garment ...

Elianna is a young girl crushed by guilt. After her only brother is killed while in her care, Elianna tries to earn forgiveness by working for her father’s textile trade and caring for her family. When another tragedy places Elianna in sole charge of the business, her talent for design brings enormous success, but never the absolution she longs for. As her world unravels, she breaks off her betrothal to the only man she will ever love. Then illness strikes, isolating Elianna from everyone, stripping everything she has left.

No physician can cure her. No end is in sight. Until she hears whispers of a man whose mere touch can heal. After so many years of suffering and disappointment, is it possible that one man could redeem the wounds of body ... and soul?

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

Tessa Afshar writes such marvelous stories! I haven't loved all her novels, but I feel Bread of Angels and now Land of Silence are absolutely incredible. The writing style, the characters and the authenticity of their world, the faith ... it all draws me in and I find myself hardly able to put the book down! Ah, I was so excited to read another book by this author, and Land of Silence did not disappoint. Tessa Afshar, along with Connilyn Cossette, is a master at writing Biblical historical novels. I truly believe she has a God-given gift for it.

So Land of Silence takes the story from The Bible of the woman who had a bleeding condition for fourteen years and imagines who this woman was and what her life was like prior to her encounter with Jesus Christ.

From practically the first page, I was drawn in and this book never lost my interest. I did at times become frustrated with Elianna, though my heart ached for her. She was perhaps very much like me in ways! Pretending she was in control; trying to fix everything and save everyone. It was gut-wrenching watching her make some choices that she did instead of choosing to trust God and those who loved her. Surrender. Overall, it was a very good lesson for me! Though a secondary character who's not seen much, I loved Elianna's sister, Joanna. I also really liked Ethan, Viriato, and Claudia. So many wonderful characters!

The storyline and plot were hard in many ways, but intriguing and, oh, so beautiful! The parts about using dye, embroidering, and selling merchandise were very interesting. The world and customs fascinating. And the themes and lessons! They were truly deep. We go on this incredible journey of forgiveness, surrender, and healing. Some of the lessons are subtle in a way, but powerful. The idea that this woman's life has been completely gutted before she has her encounter with Jesus resounds with me. Like ... sometimes God allows everything to be taken because what we truly need is Him. -To look into His eyes and hear Him call us "daughter" or "son".

Wow. Amazing story. Thoroughly engrossing book. I eagerly await my next chance to read another of Tessa Afshar's novels.

4 comments:

  1. How perfect! I just read Bread of Angels a couple days ago, and LOVED it. I'll have to read this one too, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH, I adored Bread of Angels! I hope you love this one, too!!

      Delete