Friday, June 24, 2016

Book Review: Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers


Purchase HERE

Title: Her Mother's Hope

Author: Francine Rivers

Series: Marta's Legacy #1

Genre: Historical

Audience: Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

2011 Retailers Choice Award winner!

The first in an epic two-book saga by beloved author Francine Rivers, this sweeping story explores the complicated relationships between mothers and daughters over several generations. 

Near the turn of the 20th century, fiery Marta leaves Switzerland determined to find life on her own terms. Her journey takes her through Europe and finally lands her with children and husband in tow in the central valley of California. Marta's experiences convince her that only the strong survive. 

Hildie, Marta's oldest daughter, has a heart to serve others, and her calling as a nurse gives her independence, if not the respect of her mother. Amid the drama of WWII, Hildie marries and begins a family of her own. She wants her daughter never to doubt her love, but the challenges of life conspire against her vow. 

Each woman is forced to confront her faulty but well-meaning desire to help her daughter find her God-given place in the world.

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

Whoa ... my emotions are everywhere! Francine Rivers's novels usually do that to me, now that I think about it. Haha. Anyway, Her Mother's Hope is the first book of a two-book series called MARTA'S LEGACY. It follows the lives of a mother and daughter and their relationship during the eras of World War I and II.

How to describe my feelings? I really, really loved this book ... sort of. The story, the writing, the emotion - superb. Francine Rivers's books are so epic! The characters are so real. Their lives so intriguing. But my emotional state while reading this book, um, not so good. Marta is really a piece of work! She made me so mad sometimes! I know her childhood was hard and everything, and I really felt for her at times, but that's not excuse for her to have such conditional love for her daughter. Grrr! I did really love Hildie's part of the story, (besides being angry at Marta for how she treated Hildie). Now Trip, he was like my favorite character. When he appeared on the scene, my heart was happy. ^_^ He was just a good man; I really liked him. And him and Hildie together!

So overall? Her Mother's Hope was definitely a five-star read for me. Even if it wreaked havoc on my emotions. I'm looking forward to the next book with hopes that apologies will be exchanged and relationships healed! Grand story from Francine Rivers, once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment