Thursday, March 31, 2016

Book Review: Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart by Chuck Black


Purchase HERE

Title: Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart

Author: Chuck Black

Series: The Knights of Arrethtrae #3

Genre: Fantasy

Audience: Children (11+) - Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

The shadow of doubt can destroy the most noble of men. Can Sir Dalton rediscover his allegiance before it's too late?

Sir Dalton, a knight in training, seems to have everything going for him. Young, well-liked, and a natural leader, he has earned the respect and admiration of his fellow knights, and especially the beautiful Lady Brynn.

But something is amiss at the training camp. Their new trainer is popular but lacks the passion to inspire them to true service to the King and the Prince. Besides this, the knights are too busy enjoying a season of good times to be concerned with a disturbing report that many of their fellow Knights have mysteriously vanished. 

When Sir Dalton is sent on a mission, he encounters strange attacks, especially when he is alone. As his commitment wanes, the attacks grow in intensity until he is captured by Lord Drox, a massive Shadow Warrior. Bruised and beaten, Dalton refuses to submit to evil and initiates a daring escape with only one of two outcomes–life or death. But what will become of the hundreds of knights he’ll leave behind? In a kingdom of peril, Dalton thinks he is on his own, but two faithful friends have not abandoned him, and neither has a strange old hermit who seems to know much about the Prince. But can Dalton face the evil Shadow Warrior again and survive?

~ MY REVIEW ~
**5 stars**

An intriguing journey of faith set in a non-magical fantasy world and lived out by a young knight, Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart is a Christian allegorical novel not to be missed! Eleven-year-olds and up should definitely check out THE KNIGHTS OF ARRETHTRAE by Chuck Black. My older brother and I, adults, also really enjoyed it!

This book is the third in THE KNIGHTS OF ARRETHTRAE series, which follows the KINGDOM'S DAWN series. The first series is an allegorical journey spanning Genesis to Revelation (or so I hear). And the second series follows individual knights and struggles. Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart centers on doubt, and how it cripples Dalton in his most dire battles.

I loved the spiritual tone of this book. Such a beautiful allegory ... such a grand fantasy world, filled with impacting adventures. Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart is the first book I've read by Chuck Black, but I'm so excited to read about all the other knights and their stories! And also the KINGDOM'S DAWN series! As I mentioned above, my older brother and I both really liked this book, and my teen sisters and eleven-year-old brother are planning on reading it too. It's a meaningful Christian book for the family!

That being said, there are some violent/gruesome parts and dark scenes. I thought it was all pretty tastefully done, and drove the point home. But it'd definitely be a bit scary for younger children. So yes, I think 11+ is a good audience! *smiles*

The end of the book left me happy and satisfied to a certain extent, yet so wanting to get my hands on the next book and start Lady Carliss's journey! These characters have found their ways into my heart. ^_^

I don't know what else to say. Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart was a quick but deep tale. I loved it! If you want a poignant and adventurous fantasy/allegorical story, then pick up these books. I highly recommend!

2 comments:

  1. I read the Kingdom Books and had mixed feelings. I didn't really like the writing style and the story didn't really pull me in. But it had a great message! And my sister tells me that the Knights of Arrethtrae are better than the Kingdom books. :) So I shall have to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such great messages! The beginning of Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart could be a tad hard to get into, but I quickly got captured by the story. :)

      I'll have to check out the KINGDOM'S DAWN series and see what I think. And yes, you should definitely give the next series a try! ^_^

      Delete