Friday, February 19, 2016

Fantasy Love February: Tales of Old

Another mini-challenge here, my friends! In this challenge, you must read an original fairy tale and answer some questions about it.

I read a tale by the Grimm Brothers. Or, rather, listened to it. You can read it, or listen to it, HERE.


1. What fairy tale did you read? The Twelve Dancing Princesses by the Grimm Brothers

2. Did you enjoy it? Yes, for the most part. I found I could envision everything vividly, and it was all quite beautiful! *smiles* The story itself is an enchanting and intriguing tale. However, it seriously lacked emotion! And a romance. And the king and his twelve daughters were rather heartless (considering each man who failed to figure out where the princesses went was put to death). So yes.

3. If there is a movie version of it, which is better? If there's not a movie version, do you think there should be an adaption? I've watched the Barbie version of The Twelve Dancing Princesses! *grins* I remember it being quite nice, and better than the original tale when it comes to romance and kindness, at least.
I definitely think this fairy tale should get some more movie adaptions. It's a great storyline!

4. Is this the first original fairy tale you've read? No. I've read a couple of the original tales, including Rapunzel, before.

5. Do you want to read any more original tales now? Yes! They're short and quite interesting. Despite lacking emotion and all that, I still enjoy them! ^_^

16 comments:

  1. I love the 12 Dancing Princesses story! There are a couple adaptations of this one that I really enjoy. Thirteenth Daughter, The Princess Curse, and Wildwood Dancing are all really fun retellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it such a great story, Jenelle? :) I personally LOVE Entwined, which is a retelling of it! The Night Dance by Suzanne Weyn was also fun!

      I haven't read any of those you mentioned, but I'm really looking forward to giving Wildwood Dancing a try! :)

      Delete
  2. I read this one for the challenge, as well. I agree about the princesses and the king being so heartless. It was something I was not expecting, and it was just like "okaaay..."
    Love the Barbie movie, and not ashamed. Haven't watched it in awhile, but it's so sweet. But there should be more adaptions of this story. As long as they make some of the characters with more heart, of course. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, Grace! :) I definitely wasn't expecting it either! Crazy people! :p

      Barbie movies are lovely, aren't they? ^_^ And yes, nice characters! I'd love to see more movies of this tale! Maybe a live-action! :)

      Delete
  3. I've seen the Barbie version as well. It was surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! ^_^ I'm often surprised at how much I enjoy Barbie movies! :D

      Delete
  4. This one is next on my list to read. I just read a really good one called "The Dragon Princess". It might be the shorter version I read, as it was in this "The Usborne Princess Treasury" put together by Susanna Davidson and Katie Daynes, but it was so good! It had a good moral of the story and was sweet. I had sat down to read "Miriam" by Mesu Andrews (which is good so far!), and saw this book that my sister got and when I saw the word 'dragon', I of course had to turn to the story, and then I ended up reading it and the next fairy tale. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it! So is Dragon Princess a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, or just a fairytale you read? I'm confused ... sorry! :p

      Ooh, I want to read Miriam! I've read one book by Mesu Andrews so far, and it was a good biblical retelling!

      Ah yes, of course! If you hear it has dragons in it ... can't resist! ;) :) I'll have to check it out too! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh I'm sorry! I know I can get excited about books and then not make sense. XD "Dragon Princess" is just another fairytale. :) I have yet to read a retelling or the original of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, but I hope to!

      It's very good so far! I've read two others of Mesu's and I loved one of them, and the other was a bit more torture-scened then I prefer, but it was still excellently written, talent-wise! :)

      Haha yep! :D

      Delete
    3. I do that too, I'm sure, hehe! :) Okay, fun! Ah, you really should! It's such a beautiful fairytale! ^_^

      Yeah, I read her book about Job. It could be a little heavy and dark, but I thought it was good overall! :)

      Delete
    4. :)

      Yep, that's the one I read too! I want to read all of them - so many books, so little time!

      Delete
    5. Oh, cool! :D

      And yes, that is truth!! Haha! :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome! :D I just love that story... and mostly the potential it has for retellings. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! With the making of Cinderella [2015] and Beauty and the Beast [2017], I'm just really hoping for a live-action of The Twelve Dancing Princesses!!! ^_^

      Delete
    2. Agh, me too!!! That would be amazing! :D

      Delete